Saturday, September 8, 2012

The birthing experience I have choosen to write about is about the birthing of my daughter's second baby.  I had been present for the birth of her first baby, however, this was a different experience because a young male nursing intern asked for permission to be present during the birth.  Both my daughter and son-in-law agreed to his request.  During the birthing, I turned to look at the young student and saw this strange expression on his face.  After the birth of my baby granddaugther the young man told us that he had a different outlook on childbirth and that he now admired women who gave birth more.  I really thought he was going to pass out during the birthing process.  Being present during the birth of my two granddaughters was totally different than the experience of my own birthing process.  I really like that fact that the husband and one other person can be present at the time of the birth.  My four times at the hospital were totally different because there was no one in the delivery room with me.  I come from a Hispanic family and  my mom had old school ideas, the husband was not allowed in the delivery room, that was not even thought of. 

The birthing in Russia was the one I choose to discuss/compare with our own birthing process.  I found this information on the website and it goes as follows: 

Labor is viewed as a scary emergency. So it takes place in special facilities where every step is regimented. Add lack of funds and outmoded methods and the result is a maternal death rate six times America's.


February 22, 1996|STEPHANIE SIMON | TIMES STAFF WRITER

They follow rules from Soviet days. Husbands cannot help their wives through contractions or cuddle their newborns. Women in labor cannot see family or friends, or even the obstetricians who handled their pregnancies. The Health Ministry regulations are so detailed that they control nursing posture as well: Mothers must lie on their sides to breast-feed their babies.  Hundreds of mothers die each year from uncontrolled bleeding or raging infections after giving birth in the specialized state hospitals that handle all abortions and deliveries here. Hundreds more die from the lingering effects of bungled abortions, which wreck their reproductive organs and complicate future pregnancies.  This is totally different than the hospital birthing rooms in the United States.  I also feel that as soon as a baby is born, the baby should be able to feel the mom's touch.  Husbands should be able to participate in the birthing process which also gives the newborn the warmth feeling she/he can feel.  Mother and child receive the best care in hospitals in the United States.  I am not saying that some women or newborn child don't die in U.S. hospitals, but the rate of mortality is less than in  Russia.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rosalinda,
    I need to admit that the story about the nurse intern watching your daughter second baby delivery made me smile. You know that it is true how some people (especially men) can passed out just in watching how painful could be. I think is the most beautiful thing a person can watch, the birth of a human being. We are brave in having this unique opportunity to carry and deliver babies. :-) I had the privilege to have my husband, my sister, my in-laws, and almost the whole neighborhood (LOL). Now we can have few people around the mother to provide support and cheer her up a little. I know how hispanics moms, from decades ago, they did not have the opportunity we have now. I am glad the time has changed, bringing positive outcome. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing the story of the birth of your grandchild. It is so important to have support for the mother during child birth and no one better to understand then her own mother. The information you gave about Russian births was very interesting as well. What stood out to me was that the state run hospital is for both births and abortions. What a horrible idea! That is unnerving just thinking about it. We are blessed to have the privelages we have in this country.

    ReplyDelete