Saturday, November 24, 2012

"My Connections to Play"

We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. George Bernard Shaw

Play keeps us vital and alive. It gives us an enthusiasm for life that is irreplaceable. Without it, life just doesn’t taste good. Lucia Capocchione

The way that my family supported play when we were younger was very rewarding, my parents allowed us to play outside as much as we wanted.  They encouraged us to role play, especially with dolls, dishes, bikes and books.  We weren't allowed to spend most of our time sitting in front of the television set because this was unhealthy.  We climbed trees and picked black berries. 

Today, play is very different than when my siblings and I were young.  Today, you have the majority of the young children sitting in front of a computer playing games, in front of the television playing games and becoming couch potatoes.  Even when my own children were young, I would encourage them to play outside, get all that energy they had stored out of their system.  This helped them in not being overweight children, kept them active and healthy.

By choosing the two quotes, I feel that it expresses how I feel about play in our lives.  It is true that we don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.  We should relax and not take life too serious all the time, we should allow for some fun time in our lives in order to live a healthy life.  It is also true that without play, life just doesn't taste good because again, we don't allow ourselves to enjoy the good things in life, especially play.  We are as old as we make ourselves feel.  My co-workers always mention that I don't look or act my age, and I truly believe it is because I make sure that I add a playful flavor to my existence and I try to encourage my children and grandchildren to do the same.

5 comments:

  1. Rosalinda,
    We do need to give children space to become independent players. Sometimes as adults we are too quick to intervene. Yes I agree with the quote about growing old if you do not play. People also tell me that I look younger than I am and I often say it is because of the time I spend with children. We need to learn to let go and engage in fun pretend play. Looking at life through a child's eyes does keep you young, positive, and hopeful. Great quotes.
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosalinda:

    This class this week really made me remember my childhood and how we played and played as children. I watch my nephews and my niece and I am so glad they engage in playing that involves the outdoors and their imaginations. I see so many children who do not engage in any type of play and it shows in their demeanor, their communication, and how they interact or don't interact with their peers. Play definitely is important because it lays the groundwork for how we handle situations and use our imaginations as adults.

    Vernanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rosalinda, I also picked George Bernard quote about 'we grow old because we stop playing', for me this is so true. Sometimes we forget about how to play, or how to have fun by getting involved into our daily routine and miss great opportunities to live a life full of enjoyment and playful activities. Every time I have the opportunity I try to take time to enjoy with my daughter, and even myself to play games, go out to the park, or any fun activity. I have noticed the difference of the days I got into too much work, and the days I take time for 'play' time, it make a huge difference with my moods, and stress levels. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosalinda: How appropriate! "Play keeps us vital and alive. It gives us an enthusiasm for life that is irreplaceable. Without it, life just doesn’t taste good" by Lucia Capocchione. When we do away with play in our lives you can basically say we're burying the fun and the explorative side of lives. Really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judging from your post, it is probably safe to say that you interact with children very well. In order to be an effective communicator with young children, one must "add a playful flavor to" his or her "existence," successfully serving up appropriate symbols, messages, and tools to children that hopefully accompany generous helpings of joy, laughter,and playfulness. Keep up the good work Rosalinda!

    ReplyDelete